5 hours | 15 min prep
• 4 teaspoons salt
• 2 teaspoons paprika
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon thyme
• 1 teaspoon white pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 large roasting chicken
• 2 large onions, peeled and quartered
1. (Day 1) Blend all spices together and set aside.
2. Remove neck and giblets from chicken cavity, rinse well inside and out, and pat dry with
3. Rub with spice mixture, both inside and out, then stuff cavity with onions.
4. Wrap in a resealable “food grade” plastic bag (I just use a new, unscented, white kitchen
can liner.), tie closed, and refrigerate overnight.
5. (Day 2) Remove from plastic bag and place in a shallow baking pan.
6. Roast uncovered in a 250F oven 5 hours.
7. (This is not an error, I repeat, 250F for 5 hours!) If the chicken contains a pop-up
thermometer, ignore it.
8. This recipe is SAFE.
9. According to the United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection
Service, a whole chicken should reach an internal temperature of 180 F.
10. Baste with drippings every 30 minutes after the first hour.
11. Let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
**notes: We usually do two chickens because one is not enough. It’s that good!
One onion is sufficient for two 4 ½ to 5 lb chickens. We roast them at 350F for 30
minutes and then 4 ½ hours at 250F. Mix up a batch of the spice mix so you have
it on hand.